Mataking Dive Resort (The Reef Dive Resort) on Mataking Island is one of the most romantic and exclusive diving destinations in the area, after a 40 minute boat journey from Semporna on mainland Borneo you will arrive at Mataking Island and be greeted with pure white sandy beaches, tall palm trees, crystal clear waters and a cooling tropical sea breeze.
Mataking Dive Resort has been constructed with peach and tranquility in mind and offers a range of private villa’s designed in traditional architecture offering elegant and exquisite accommodation for up to 100 guests. Accommodation choices include deluxe rooms, premier rooms, executive king chalets and the brand new Beach chalet.
Mataking Dive Resort is the ultimate destination for divers and non-divers alike, Divers can gear up and explore amongst the many dive sites around the island including Hump Head Point, Eel Garden, Turtle Playground, Lobster Lair, Nudibranch Garden and Coral Garden.
Non-divers can enjoy being pampered at the Jamu Spa, take part in some batik painting, jungle trekking, canoeing or kayaking plus much, much more. Mataking really is the whole package, whether you’re travelling as a family, a couple or just a group of friends, everyone will find activities they will enjoy at the Mataking Dive Resort.
One of the star attractions when diving at Mataking would have to be the fully functional Underwater Post Office, built on a wreck and the very first of its kind in Malaysia and one of only 5 worldwide. You can write a postcard from the resorts gift shop sealed in a waterproof postal wrap and a specially designed valid rubber stamp then dive down to Underwater Post Office to deposit your postcard into the box. Mail is collected twice weekly and can be delivered anywhere in the world. The sunken ship at the Underwater Post Office’s location has become an artificial reef attracting many different species of rare and tropical reef fish.
The resort is quite far from Sipadan Island, day trips are available but can be quite expensive at around 1,200RM, so if you want to dive Sipadan we would recommend you stay at a resort closer like those on Mabul Island and Kapalai Island. If however you are looking for a vacation which includes diving but isn’t all diving then you can look no further, the resort offers a larger range of activities than the resorts closer to Sipadan and is great for Families and Couples.
Facilities & Services
- 5 Beach Villas
- 8 Executive King Chalets
- 12 Premier deluxe rooms
- 12 Deluxe rooms
- Jamu Spa & Jacuzzi
- 20m King’s Watchtower
- Simply Enak Restaurant
- Coral Bar
- Gekko Lounge Bar
- Crowns Conference Hall
- Nemo Business Centre
- Mailing Service
- Island Shop
- Island Sound Studio
- Island Underwater Imaging
- Exotic Garden
- PADI 5 Star Dive Centre & Sea Sports Centre
- Beach Volley Ball & Beach Soccer
- Activity Desk
- Safekeeping Service
- Telephone & Fax
- Satellite TV
- Underwarter Videography
- First Aid & Emergency Kit
- Wireless Broadband & Internet Connection (minimal charges, available at restaurant & reception only)
- Airport Meeting Service, Return Land / Boat Transfer (Tawau Airport Semporna Jetty Mataking Island Semporna Jetty Tawau Airport)
- Full board meals, free flow of coffee/tea and light snacks
- Twin sharing accommodation at Mataking Island with air-conditioning
- Fresh hot water shower and attached bathroom with private sundeck / balcony
- Complimentary use of Jacuzzi
- Diver Package includes 3 daily boat dives at Mataking / Pandanan / Bohayan / Kelapuan / Timba Timba / Pom Pom with experience guide provided
- Unlimited shore buddy dives without guide
- Tanks, weights / weight belt is provided
- Sipadan permit
- Alcoholic beverage